Friday, February 11, 2011

Candy Button Valentines

For valentines day I decided I wanted to do something homemade but a little more fun than just your regular old pink, red, and purple sugar cookies loaded with more pink frosting and sprinkles...I have had enough of those!  I was blogging around again, as usual, and I came across this super easy recipie on Mrs. Bettie Rocker.  She had made them for her sons birthday party but I decided to put a new V-day twist on them :)
What you'll need:
3 cups of confectioners sugar (aka powdered sugar)
2 egg whites
Any color food coloring
Your favorite paper
First I cut out the paper shape that I wanted to put the buttons on, I drew out this 'X and O' and traced about 40 of them.  I decided I was going to fill up two for each valentine.  I used just regular white computer paper for this but you can use whatever fun paper you like most.  After I finished cutting all of them out I beat the powdered sugar and egg whites together for about 5 minutes until it became a thick almost pasty like consistency.  I then separated the mixture into two bowls and added the food coloring, I made one bowl pink and the other purple for my candy buttons.  I didn't have a piping tool so I just put each color into a separate plastic sandwich bag and cut a small hole in one corner.  I then squeezed out all of the little dots onto my papers, I got better at it as I went! (The first ones kind of looked like little turds...yum right?)
When done piping them all out let the harden overnight or for about 12-15 hours.  I put mine in the fridge which seemed to speed up the process a little bit.  While mine were hardening I glued on little notes and ribbons to the valentine themed mini gift bags I bought, 20 for a buck at the dollar store :)
I put one of each color into a bag and then stickered them shut.  I LOVE how they turned out!  Something a little out of the ordinary and brings me back to my childhood, couldn't have been more of a success.  This recipe/project was so easy and everyone so far has really seemed to appreciate the little bit of extra effort PLUS it only cost me about 3 dollars, two bucks for the powdered sugar and a dollar for the bags (everything else I already had).  Oh I just love holidays!

Hope you all have a great Valentines weekend with all of your most loved ones!
Find the original recipe and a bunch of other sweet ideas at...
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...