Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bored Jars - For All You Mommas!

HAPPY FAT TUESDAY EVERYONE!! I am so sorry readers, it has been a while.  School has been a bit INSANE, but I am now finally on a break and can get back to blogging away! So here is my latest little project...

Whoa does this bring me back to my childhood!  All growing up I remember having this "terribly-great" thing called a bored jar.  It was an old canning jar my mom had filled with little scraps of paper.  On each scrap there was something to do, according to my brother and I some were terrible and some were great!  They said thing like, 'clean your room', 'play with chalk', 'go for ice cream', 'vacuum your room', or 'ride bikes for an hour'.  The catch to the bored jar is whenever someone says that infamous phrase "IM BORED" you were now forced to pick a scrap out of the bored jar, and whatever you picked you HAD to do.  No whining, no ifs ands or buts about it!
 
My mom didn't put a whole lot of the 'terribles' but there were a few.  She says this was to discourage us from saying it at all, saying it means you take your chances!  It was such a fun game sometimes, especially if I picked something cool and my brother had to go do something like vacuum his room...tehehe :)

I have a close girlfriend who is having her third child in a few months and I thought this would be a cute idea as a gift for her two older girls, now that she will need to keep them occupied doing things that allow her to take care of the baby more often.  All you need is some sort of jar, preferably with a lid, scrap paper, glue, and anything else you want to decorate your jar.  You can just keep it simple or go crazy with all that glue, mod podge, paper, ribbon and/or glitter!  You decide but make it totally your own.  I used some scrap fabric and mod podged it to the jar then added the little label out of sticker letters and computer paper.  I got the jar for only 1.99, which was my only cost.  So easy, cheap and fun!  This is how it turned out:
 I am thinking about doing a GIVEAWAY pretty soon...I don't want to spoil the details but its going to be pretty awesome so keep checking back over the next week or so!
Linking up to:

giveaways


15 comments:

  1. This is too cool--thanks for visiting my blog housefinally...I am following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to tell you that I love your blog! I am a photographer but I am an artist and crafter as well. I just don't get to do it as often now. And I LOVE thrifty shopping and redoing things! SO FUN!
    Are you apart of "Networked Blogs" on Facebook? Your blog is so good, I hope you are, you will get traffic that way. Also just by visiting others and commenting and leaving your blogsite. That is how I got here. I just want you to have a lot of people because your blog is great! Have a great week and I will talk to you soon! I will be following for sure!
    Thanks,
    Heather
    www.hdstokesphotography.com and just go to blog from there if you want to check it out! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! This is such a cute idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, this is the cutest idea! I love it! I think I might do this for my own house. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. I am going to do one of the these. Thanks for visiting my site. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am following you back. Looking forward to checking out more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea. I love this! Following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AH! I love all your projects, I couldn't decide which one to leave a comment on. This is such a good idea. I'm definitely making one whenever I have kids. Thanks for stopping by. I'm following you back : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea. We only see my stepdaughter twice a month, she brings her friends and they have plenty to do but it doesn't stop them from complaining they are bored!! Maybe I need one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. were our moms in on this together because we def had a bored jar too lol..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you via Pinterest. This idea is brilliant. I love the idea of giving this as a gift for older siblings when a new one arrives. Smart.
    I made a bored jar last fall. If folks want ideas for what to put IN the bored jar, I listed all of mine here: http://rhubarbsky.com/2010/09/18/mom-im-bored/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made one of these last year and we've used the heck out of it!

    We have 200 activities in ours, I made a download you can pick up here:
    http://supermombyday.com/?p=232

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this linked on the Parent Hacks wall on Facebook! What a great idea! My Mom always just gave us chores if we said we were bored, but I like this lotto idea. Did you ever get to come up with "bored" ideas for the jar or did your Mom think them all up? I think I need a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being a grandmother of 5, I think this is great. Wish I had known about it when my kids were young. Would have kept my sanity in check. Love it. Thanks Shayla.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really neat idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...